You have completed all the online modules of the e-learning Human Rights Monitoring training. Now it’s time to test what you have learnt so far and get your certificate from OSCE ODIHR!
Please carefully read the following text, and reply to the questions based on the collected information. Feel free to use all the resources available to you including the ones published on FreedomLab.
(1) Sokovia is a small country in Galaxia, party to all major international and regional human rights instruments. The human rights record of Sokovia has deteriorated in the past year. Reports point out that authorities continued to crack down on journalists, imprisoned opposition leaders, closed a leading independent news agency, and arrested several academics on charges of abetting terrorism. At the same time, the government blocked various websites, wiretapped the phones of several human rights defenders and activists and considered introducing a new law that would require NGOs to register any funding from foreign sources, subjected human rights groups to harassment, and continued to enforce serious restrictions on religious practice, as it had in previous years. Ten NGOs had their offices raided by police and their tax numbers suspended; their leaders are being prosecuted for embezzlement.
(2) Sokovia is experiencing economic crisis with skyrocketing inflation, high unemployment and widespread allegations of corruption at all levels. In May, authorities responded to plans by an opposition party for a public demonstration in the capital against the austerity measures, by blocking Internet and cell phone service throughout the country in the days leading up to the event. The disbanding of the demonstration was ordered by authorities and in the ensuing clashes at least two persons, including a police officer were killed and more than a hundred were injured during the three-day turmoil in the capital. Around 84 protestors were arrested and several party activists have been reported as missing by their families.
(3) Lawyers associations continue to report on cases where beatings and humiliation tactics are used to obtain confessions. Police and investigators routinely deny detainees access to counsel in pretrial custody. Civil society organizations have recently reported that authorities have undertaken investigations regarding at least three out of seven cases of suspicious deaths in custody over the past two years, but that none have produced meaningful results.
(4) Authorities periodically block access to independent websites. According to Internet service providers, the state telecommunications agency continued periodically to order that several websites be blocked, including Sokoviamail, Fakebooknote, and the national Free Sokovia news service. The national legislation continued to retain criminal sanctions for “insulting the president” or any government officials.
(5) The country’s plan to tackle the economic crisis by constructing a large dam and hydropower plant stands to displace over 42,000 people before the plant becomes operational, most belonging to the Xhosi minority. The government has already resettled 1,500 families to other regions around the country. The government has not provided the necessary compensation to displaced families to replace their homes or restore their livelihoods. Many Xhosi families have suffered serious disruptions in access to housing, food, water, and education. Reports about arson attacks by extremist groups on makeshift camps by displaced Xhosi in major urban areas continue to emerge. One such incident in the capital resulted in 3 children being hospitalised with severe burns.
0 of 11 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 11 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
From the following list of rights, please choose those limited rights which were allegedly abused in Sokovia:CorrectIncorrect
Sokovia is a party to all major international and regional human rights instruments. Based on aforementioned text, please state all human rights Conventions and Covenants (excluding Optional Protocols) which your organization would need to examine before starting your monitoring investigation: (Please base your answers on the information provided in the text – Ex. ICCPR, CAT, CEDAW)CorrectIncorrect
3. QuestionThe President of Sokovia stated on public television that Xhosi minority can not be considered as real Sokovians and that the government will not provide the necessary compensation to displaced families. Which of the principles of the application of human rights are at stake in this situation?CorrectIncorrect
4. QuestionAs a country that ratified the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), Sokovia did not allegedly comply with the following articles of the ICCPR: (Please read the text of the convention here**** and select all of the relevant articles below)CorrectIncorrect
Which of the following sentences refers to the failure of the obligation of the State of Sokovia to respect human rights?CorrectIncorrect
After consultation with your colleagues, you decided to monitor the situation of people detained in Tondora following participation the demonstration in March last year. More particularly, you want to monitor the conditions in which detainees are being held and the treatment they receive. As a first step of your information gathering, you conducted several interviews with detainees where they shared how they were abused, humiliated and beaten up in detention. However, one day after the conducted interviews, the victims contacted you and revoked their consent for you to use this information. What would be your actions?CorrectIncorrect
After collecting some information from detainees during the interviews, what would be your next step?CorrectIncorrect
What are the key principles that apply to report writing? A report should include: (Choose all that apply)CorrectIncorrect
9. QuestionYour organization is focused on monitoring mainly the situation with human rights enshrined in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rgihts (ICCPR). After drafting the report on the situation of the implementation of the ICCPR by Sokovia and highlighting all human rights abuses happening within last year in the country, which of the following UN instruments, would your organisation need to primarily submit the human rights report to?CorrectIncorrect
10. QuestionApart from the Human Rights Council, which other UN body reviews on a periodic basis the fulfilment of all UN member States of their human rights obligations and commitments and collects information submitted by civil society actors?CorrectIncorrect
Other than reporting to the UN, which other stakeholders could be recipient of the report? (Choose all that apply)CorrectIncorrect