Human rights monitoring cycle
Human rights monitoring activities should follow a structure, also known as human rights monitoring cycle, that allows you to make the most of your resources, keep you and your team focused, and allows you to stay safe and consider all the angles.
Human Rights Monitoring cycle constitutes a strategic tool to record and analyse information, present findings of monitoring activities, express concern about a human rights issue, engage in dialogue with duty bearers, advocate positive change and propose recommendations for corrective action.
Learn more about the monitoring cycle in this module!
Estimated time: 1h 30m
Human Rights Monitoring Cycle
Please, make sure you turned on Subtitles option on YouTube.
Integrating gender into human rights monitoring work
Take the quiz and test your knowledge!
1. Before starting a monitoring exercise …Correct! Wrong!
2. Gender mainstreaming during monitoring is –Correct! Wrong!
3. Safety and security during monitoring exercise should be ensured to…Correct! Wrong!
4. One of the main tasks of monitoring is toCorrect! Wrong!
5. Monitoring cycle ends with …Correct! Wrong!
1 Practice exercise
1. Examine OSCE Rapporteur’s Report under the Moscow Mechanism on Alleged Human Rights Violations related to the Presidential Elections of 9 August 2020 in Belarus.
2. Identify a specific human right that is relevant for your monitoring or to the activities of your organization.
3. Sketch out an initial assessment of the situation for your possible future monitoring.
4. Analyse whether these alleged human rights violations are affecting all stakeholders in the same way or not.
5. Describe the human rights problem you want to resolve, and applicable human rights standards
Examine once again the Human Rights Monitoring Cycle.